There are great misconceptions in the minds of people regarding this direction. The South has always been considered as a problematic direction in terms of Vaastu but actually it is not true. Ruled by the planet Mangal (Mars), the south is, truly speaking, the storehouse for the energies that emanate from the north and hence there should be no openings in this area. Owned by Lord Yama, the God of death, this direction determines legal affairs, financial prospects and even health factors for the occupants of the related structure.
1. The south portion of a house should mostly be covered and devoid of any large openings so as to ensure no leakage of the positive energies coming from the North direction.
2. A store in the south is considered a good idea as this direction needs to be blocked, especially for people living in a joint family. Placing lots of furniture and closets can also prove beneficial in stabilizing the energies in this area. On the contrary, leaving this direction open would mean flowing out of the positive energies which enter from the North direction, coming from the North Pole
3. Builders should make thick walls in the south direction in order to nullify the evil effects of Yama.
4. Mirrors or clocks should not be hung on the south walls as this may prove unfavorable for its inmates. Instead, pictures of sky-rocketing buildings and mountains should be pasted in this section of the house to make it more supportive and fruitful.
5. There should not be any bore wells in the south as this may lead to heavy financial losses and even death of near and dear ones.
Red color hues are highly recommended on the south walls. Painting the walls red or decorating the region with red flowers and curtains can be very useful. The younger members of the family or the children folk should occupy the southern bedrooms of the house.
Placing water elements like reservoirs, swimming pools and borings in the south or south-east direction can lead to major litigation problems, accidents and uninvited unforeseen circumstances for the residents of the house.
Talking about the main entrance of the house, most of the scriptures and even Vaastu consultants regard the south direction as inauspicious and unlucky, but this is not totally true. The main entrance in the South, if placed in the third and fourth part, proves to be very beneficial for the owners.
From the point of stability in business, the marketing staff of your business enterprise should not be made to sit towards south or else you are sure not to attain the results you deserve in your business for your efforts and hard work. You would always face obstacles while closing a deal or would always be won over by a competitor.