Architecture can be rightly regarded as one of the most celebrated means for enjoying one’s place of living in the natural world. It is a conscious and rational effort to create harmony in one’s living space. However, the Indian art of placement is termed as Vastu Shastra. Vastu Shastra is a strange amalgamation of science and religion, of design and instinct. It concerns with the subtle complexities of the energy system in relationship to both the natural and designed environments. Vastu lays down certain principles that orient and plan each element of a building from the big-picture considerations such as shape and size to the details of where windows and doors should be placed. In India, building a house is not just an investment but a religious act. Here are some general tips on Vastu Shastra for building a house:
1. Well- There should be no wells in the south-west corners of the plot. A well should always be dug, if at all, in the north-east corner of the house and the water obtained from this source should be used for construction purposes. A well in the south direction of the house can bring ill luck for the inmates.
2. Open Space- The whole extent of the house, and the area around the building, should have enough open space. This proves to be lucky for the occupants of the house as it ensures enough air flow throughout the structure. However, the east direction should have more of open space and the west should have the minimal open area. The north-west and south-east should have equal open spaces.
3. Shadow of trees- Vastu does not oppose against building houses under trees, hence it is completely fine to plant trees in almost all the directions of the house. Care should be taken to plant the tall, heavy and bulky trees in the south, west and south-west of the plot. The north, east and north-east should have the smaller plants, saplings and creepers. This would confirm that light and air would not be obstructed from entering into the house.
4. South and west are most favourable for constructing a house- The north and east directions are not as high as the south and the west in most places, this proves to be very beneficial to build one’s house in this south west corner of the plot as this would reduce fights and quarrels among family members and would also provide financial stability.
5. Vastu shanti puja- Conducting a Vastu Shanti puja in the house helps to evoke all positive energies and drives away negativity from surrounding.
6. Buying an old house- The first and foremost step, on buying an old house, is to get it painted. Painting wards away the negative energies of the previous dwelling tenants and lets fresh new energies to incorporate in the house.
The above mentioned general tips on Vastu Shastra for building a house can be highly beneficial in creating a harmonious and peaceful environment for you to live in.