The festival of Dussehra is marked to celebrate the victory of good over evil, the victory of Lord Rama over the demon king Ravana who had abducted his consort Sita. This festival is celebrated all the across the globe by Hindus located in different parts of the world. However, there are many such facts about the festival of Dussehra which most of us are not aware of. Here are a few interesting facts about this festival which should be known to everyone.
• The festival of Dussehra is also celebrated in Nepal and there it is known as Dashain.
• ‘Dasara’ is the national festival of Nepal
• In the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, it is celebrated as ‘Kullu Dussehra’ in the Dhalpur Maidan of Kullu Valley
• The festival of Dussehra is also known as ‘Vijay Dashmi’ meaning the victory on the tenth day as per Hindu calendar.
• Other Asian countries also celebrate this festival like Nepal, Bangladesh, Malaysia and others with great zeal and enthusiasm
• On this day, large efficacies of the demon Ravana, his younger brother Kumbhkarna and Ravana’s son Meghnada are burnt with firecrackers.
• The celebrations of the festival of Dussehra date back to the 17th century in Mysore
• According to beliefs, the great Askoka king converted and adapted himself to Buddhism on the day of Dussehra.
• Even Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, better known as the father of the Indian constitution, converted to Buddhism religion.
• The festival of Dussehra is celebrated on the tenth day of Navratri festival, the day on which Durga Puja is celebrated with great pomp and grandeur.
• Farmers celebrate the festival of Dussehra as the harvest festival. The Kharif crop is harvested after Dussehra while the Rabi crop is planted after 20 days of Dussehra.
• The demon Ravana had ten heads. Each of his heads represented an evil quality that he possessed. The ten evils are jealousy, pride, anger, ego, lust, injustice, selfishness, greed, attachment and hatred. The festival of Dussehra marks the win over all these evils.
Ramlila- The victory of Rama over Ravana
Ramlila is held during the nine days of the festival of Navratri. During this time, many actors enact the entire story of Ramayana in front of a huge crowd, playing various roles of the great epic. The story kick starts with the birth of Lord Rama and ends with the killing of the demon Ravana. On the tenth day, large efficacies of the demon Ravana, along with his brother Kumbhakaran and son Meghanad are burnt down with firecrackers on a huge ground by actors dressed as Rama and his brother Lakshmana. The hearts of the spectators fill with great joy and cheer when the demon is finally killed by the protagonist Rama.
Apart from this, people all across the country light diyas outside their houses to mark this victory and welcome Rama along with his wife Sita and brother Lakshman. After having killed the demon king Ravana, actors playing the roles of Rama, Lakshmana, Sita and Hanuman sit on a chariot and a great victory procession is carried out on the streets of the city where they are welcomed by the people with great cheer and enthusiasm.
The festival of Dussehra defeats the evil and ignites the principles of truth, goodness and righteousness in the world. Let us celebrate the festival of Dussehra in the year 2016 on the 11th of October and let the evils vanish by virtue of goodness. Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous Dussehra.
Dr. Puneet Chawla is a Life Guru, guiding and mentoring the followers to solve their life problems and make a easy living. He corrects the reasons of troublesome life by way of Vastu, Mantra and Tantra Mandalas. Being an intuitive personality he senses the negative energies, the reasons of problems and rarely predicts the life decisions too. He is a Shiv and Shakti Sadhak and guides people through Shivpath.
The people who can not call Dr. Puneet Chawla at there site can meet him at his designated offices. Meeting with him is possible in every city at a specified place....Read More
Happy to see you here!