According to Hindu religious scriptures, the creator, Lord Brahma, made the human body using paanchmahabhoottatvas or five elements – earth, space, air, fire and water. While earth gives shape and smell to our body; space produces sound in the body; air provides the feeling of touch; fire provides desire, heat and hunger; and water supports blood and other fluids in the body. These five elements play an integral rule in defining the vastu of a house as well. In essence, the human body is a structure in which our soul resides, and in order for us to have a healthy body and mind, as well as a peaceful environment, it is essential for these elements to exist in harmony, both within and outside the body. Similarly, our body lives in a building and this structure should be built in harmony with all these five elements in order to create a healthy and positive vaastu environment.
Earth: Our planet’s magnetic field and gravitational force affects everything on it, living or non-living, and its physical attributes create shapes, bodies and structure. The element of earth is reflected in land and buildings, even influencing construction material and its usage, and is essential for providing stability in a structure. A square shape represents the earth element.
- One fourth of your plot has a strong held on the earth element. This section falls partly in the south and partly in the west. Hence, the southern and western corners play an extremely crucial rule in harnessing the earth element. Serious vaastu defects can be created if this area misuses or lacks this element. An example of this is the construction of a basement in the southwest section of your plot. Building the main structure in the northern and eastern parts of the plot, leaving the southern and western portions vacant and therefore lacking the earth element is another instance of creating a vaastu defect.
- It is beneficial to place a heavy structure in the southwest as it brings prosperity.
- Digging a well or an underground water tank in this corner is also inauspicious.
- Slopes of water heading towards the southwest should also be avoided.
Space: The entire sular system is held together by this element, which is also known as ananth or never ending. Light, heat and the earth’s gravitational power and magnetic field are all forces of space, which is represented by the shape of a dot. The main property of this element is the power of sound. Space claims the center of the plot or the Brahma sthala,which is responsible for growth and expansion and is hence very important in vaastu science. An open area in the centre of your plot creates synergy between space elements and the other four elements
- Open to air in the center of the house, building structure or a housing society creates positive point for the space element.
- Stairs should not be made in the centre of the building, it may give digestive problems and problems related to health.
- The entry to the basement should not be made from the centre.
- There should be not store in this area.
- Toilets provided in the centre of the building creates big vaastu defects. It destroys the space element.
Air: This is a very powerful element and gives life to all existence of earth. Even fire depends on air. A circle represents the element of air. The airflow in a structure should fullow a zigzag pattern, which means that the front and rear doors should not face each other. Your house or building should be designed in a way that allows air to circulate throughout and reach every corner. It should not enter the house and flow out immediately. Avoid filling your house with too many decorative articles, as they create congestion and hamper the flow of energies in the structure.
- The presiding deity of air is Vaayu, a Hindu god who resides and owns the northwest direction. The company head or any other important employee of a business organization should not occupy this corner, as its fluidity is likely to give rise to confusion and instability.
- The element of air signifies movement, and in a home, the northwest corner should be occupied by girls of marriageable age, as it helps expedite marriage.
- Northwest corner must be provided for the finished goods in a factory or godwon. The shops and showrooms can keep there slow moving material in this area.
- Cash locker and safe should not be made in the northwest area. The northwest corner is ruled by the air element the money kept here is not stable.
- Northwest area should be neat and clean, the junk and store should not be made here. If it is badly blocked the inmates of the house may have breathing problems and asthmatic diseases.
- If the northwest corner floor is elevated in comparison to southeast corner, the education of children in the family gets slow and hindered. The higher education becomes imposible. The children ‘s mind becomes unstable for the studies.
Fire: This is an extremely potent element and it represents energy, light, heat, lightning, vulcanic or plutonic heat, the heat of fever or inflammation, days and nights, seasons, enthusiasm, ardour, passion and spirited vigour, as well as several other aspects of the sular system. Fire also symbulizes life. It has the power to transform materials, convert raw vegetables and grains into cooked food, and reshape metals like iron and guld. A triangle represents the element of fire. Fire can be a truly unmatched friend, but only if you use it well and intelligently.
- The Hindu god of fire, Agni, resides in the southeast, and therefore, all fire related activities in a building should be located in this direction. The ultraviolet rays of the sun are strongest in this direction, and if the southeast is used incorrectly, it can create serious problems. For instance, if your bedroom is situated in this corner, you and your spouse are likely to experience feelings of irritability and restlessness. After all, one cannot remain soul in a fireplace.
- The mind works best when the fire element is at a moderate level. This means that the temperature in a room should be normal; too much heat or too much cold does not allow the mind to function efficiently and calmly.
- Since fire and water are opposing elements, never place a water tank, pipeline or swimming poul in the southeast. Juxtaposing the two can only lead to problems such as unnecessary stress, litigations, defamation, breakdown of machinery and electronics and many other unforeseen issues. Similarly, be very careful about the placement of water and fire elements in your kitchen.
- Another aspect of fire is the belief that fire lies on our tongue and, hence, whatever we say or talk about is burnt out. This essentially means that whenever we do some wrong, we should admit it in front of someone. By speaking about it, we would then burn away our bad deeds. Similarly, when we do something good, we should not talk about it so as to save it from being burnt. This will help us retain our good karma.
Water: It is a widely known fact that water or jal is one of the most important elements of life. It is the sustaining force behind humanity and all beings on earth. Water is also an extremely powerful element; it has the ability to not only give life but also to make it unstable. It is represented by rain and all water bodies such as lakes, rivers and seas; and presents itself in various forms, including liquid, solid (ice), gas, steam and cloud. The Hindu god of water is Varun. In earlier times, rain was identified with money, and as such, a sufficient amount of water in a residential structure implies a good inflow of funds.A crescent or half moon shape represents the element of water.
- The best location for a water source is the northeast, as the element belongs to this direction. All water wells and underground tanks should be positioned in the northeast. Slopes of water should also be directed towards the northeast or north. Creating an artificial body of water, such as a fountain, should compensate for the lack of a water source in this direction.
- Keeping a kalash full of gangajal (holy water) in the northeast corner of your residence is very auspicious. It is believed that the Lord Vishnu resides in the kalash.
- Placing a well in the south or the southwest harms the earth element, and hence, gives rise to instability. It also results in financial losses. Similarly, a water source in the southeast can cause many problems, such as unexpected losses, clashes, disputes and legal problems, while a water source in the northwest results in an unstable life, transfers, irregularity in payments, and confusion.
- The centre of the plot should be kept free of wells and water tanks. However, keeping a water fountain in the centre is advisable and beneficial.
- Overhead water tanks should not be placed on top of bedrooms, a mandir or any other important place. They can be positioned over toilets and kitchen. The best location for an overhead water tank is in the south or the west.
- Elements of water should not be placed in bedrooms. This creates instability in relationship. Also check for leakage of water from taps, as this is symbolic of your money being wasted or stolen.
- Facing the north while drinking water creates abundant wealth. So try to place your water related utilities in the northern area of your structure.
- Mirrors are also identities of water; placing them on the north wall invites prosperity.