On the second day of the Navratri puja, Maa Brahmacharini is worshipped and this day is regarded as significant of the pinnacle of purity and piousness. This too is one among the nine forms of Goddess Durga. She is clad in white saree with a border in orange shade. She holds a water pot, called Kamandal, in one hand while in the other she has a Rosary (mala). The Goddess blesses those with success, wisdom and knowledge who worship her with great devotion, keep fast and chant mantras on the second day of Navratri.
Lord Brahmacharini is believed to have a connectivity with Lord Shiva since her previous birth as having become her Sati. Hence, in her childhood, Lord Narada predicts that she would get married to Shiva in this life too, hearing which, the little girl went ahead to seek penance and meditated for hundreds of years without food. She finally gets married to Lord Shiva who blesses her with the granto fbecomg his consort. The Goddess, therefore, became popular as Brahmacharini, thereby meaning the girl who underwent strict and tough penance just to make her wish come true.
Coming to the rituals of the second day, the worshippers are supposed to wear green colored attires as a symbol to show their love and devotion for the Goddess. One seeks divine nature, tremendous powers and spiritualism when enlightened by the blessings of Goddess Brahmacharini. One needs to go through hardships in life in order to achieve goodness in life and this is what this day teaches its followers. It preaches that it is the act of penance which leads a person to the path of truth and spirituality.
Puja paraphernalia for the second day of Navratri:
• Start by reading the second chapter of the Durga Satashathi paath.
• The goddess should be given a bath with milk, curd and then flowers should be offered to her after having put kumkum and rice grains. A lotus garland should be put around the photo of the goddess or idol.
• Arti should be performed for the goddess by lighting a ghee filled diya
• Mantras should be chanted
• Elaichi, mishri or nuts should be offered to the goddess as Prasad.
• The Prasad should then be distributed among the members of the family.
• It is good to keep fast on the nine days of the Navratri puja
The following mantra and shloka should be chanted for worshipping Goddess Brahmacharini on the second day of the auspicious Navratri festival in order to seek her blessings.
दधाना कर पद्माभ्याम अक्षमाला कमण्डलू।
देवी प्रसीदतु मई ब्रह्मचारिण्यनुत्तमा।।
Dadhana Kar padmabhyam akshamala kamandalu|
Devi Praseedatu Mayi Brahmacharinyanuttama||
या देवी सर्वभूतेषु माँ ब्रह्मचारिणी रूपेण संस्थिता।
नमस्तस्यै नमस्तस्यै नमस्तस्यै नमो नम:।।
Ya Devi Sarvabhuteshu Maa Brahmacharini Rupena Samsthita।
Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namah॥